Jonathan S. Black, MD, FACS
A native of Omaha, Dr. Jonathan Steven Black is a highly respected board-certified plastic surgeon at our locations in Charlottesville and Fishersville, VA. After completing his undergraduate and medical degrees at the University of Nebraska, he followed in both his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps and completed a 6-year residency in plastic surgery at the University of Virginia. After his fellowship training in Milwaukee, Dr. Black returned to UVA as an assistant professor in the department of plastic surgery. He enjoys performing both cosmetic and reconstructive procedures as well as nonsurgical aesthetic treatments. Dr. Black is especially gratified by caring for pediatric patients with cleft lip/palate and other craniofacial disorders.
Education & Training
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry
- University of Nebraska Medical Center-Omaha, Medical Degree (elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society)
- University of Virginia, Residency, Plastic Surgery
- Medical College/Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Fellowship, Craniofacial Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
Roles at UVA
Dr. Black has hospital and operating room privileges at both UVA and the Augusta Medical Center and treats patients with numerous types of aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgery needs at each location. He is an active educator and is a Medical Student Clerkship Director for the School of Medicine at UVA and Associate Residency Program Director at UVA in Plastic Surgery.
- Breast augmentation
- Breast reduction
- Fat grafting
- Male breast reduction
- Tummy tuck
- Facelift & neck lift
- Eyelid surgery
- Facial palsy & reanimation
- Migraine surgery
- Skin cancer reconstruction
- BOTOX® Cosmetic
- Dermal fillers
- Peels & facials
Dr. Black’s care philosophy is that all patients have concerns with both reconstructive and aesthetic needs and that his experience in treating issues of many types makes him better at treating all of his patients. New programs offered by Dr. Black include the surgical correction of facial palsy and migraine headaches.
- Pediatric conditions, including: ear deformities, facial skeletal deficiencies, and cleft lip and palate
Dr. Black’s final love is charitable surgery and includes surgical mission collaborations with India and Romania. Working with the Rotary Club on each project, the two missions serve very different purposes. In India, children and adults travel for days to find care for cleft lip and burn-related deformities. In Romania, children with cleft lip and palate deformities and other craniofacial deformities are treated in a multi-disciplinary fashion modeled after the treatment offered at UVA. The intent here is to train the Romanian plastic surgeons in this type of specialized care. Dr. Black has been a critical member in establishing this incredible and fruitful partnership.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate Association
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- American Academy of Pediatrics