Facelift & Neck Lift
The talented plastic surgeons at UVA Plastic Surgery perform facelift and neck lift surgery in Charlottesville and Fishersville, VA, to expertly address signs of facial aging for women and men. While facial plastic surgery can help patients look years younger, natural-looking results require a surgeon, such as those on our world-class team, who has in-depth knowledge of facial anatomy plus specialized training and experience in advanced surgical techniques.
Who is a candidate for a facelift?
Healthy women and men from Richmond and Harrisonburg, VA, Washington, D.C., and nearby cities, typically age 40 and above, who want long-lasting facial rejuvenation are good candidates for a facelift. Often combined with a neck lift, the facelift addresses the lower 2/3 of the face by providing one or more of the following improvements:
- Raising sagging skin and tissues on the cheeks
- Correcting jowls and defining the jawline
- Rejuvenating the neck by smoothing lax, crepey skin and repairing vertical banding
Patients who are interested in a minimally invasive facelift alternative may choose a nonsurgical facelift, which is accomplished with a combination of a neuromodulator, such as BOTOX® Cosmetic, and dermal fillers, such as JUVÉDERM®.
What are the different types of facelift?
As innovators actively involved in advancing and refining aesthetic surgery techniques, our plastic surgeons are experienced in a complete range of facelift techniques, including:
- Deep plane or SMAS facelift, which provides the most dramatic and longest-lasting results by elevating and tightening deeper structures of the face before redraping the skin to avoid a pulled or windblown look. Our surgeons understand how tightening deep facial structures achieves facial shape and affects long-term results.
- Short scar or mini facelift, which restores definition to the jawline for patients with minor sagging of the jowls. This technique is good for patients who need more correction than can be provided with nonsurgical treatments. It involves shorter incisions and faster recovery than a deep plane facelift.
- Skin-only facelift, which is limited to patients with very early facial aging who do not need facial tissues repositioned.
Our surgeons are diligent about attention to detail when performing facelift surgery. They personalize each procedure to the patient’s degree of facial aging, tissue quality, aesthetic goals, and overall health. For desired results, our surgeons may combine the facelift/neck lift with brow lift surgery to extend improvements into the upper face.
Facelift & Neck Lift Surgeons
At UVA Plastic Surgery, our highly regarded surgeons offer expertise and personalized care for a rewarding patient experience.Meet Our Surgeons
How is a facelift performed?
Our plastic surgeons typically perform facelift surgery as an outpatient procedure using either local anesthetic with IV sedation or general anesthetic. The incisions for a deep plane facelift usually begin at the temples, continue along the face’s natural contours in front of the ears, and end in back of the ears. Mini facelift incisions are typically limited to the front of the ears. If a neck lift is included, an additional incision is made under the chin. Through the incisions, the surgeon may:
- Raise sagging tissues
- Tighten muscles
- Gently remove pockets of fat using liposuction
Once complete, the skin is redraped and tightened, and the excess is trimmed away. The incisions are then carefully sutured closed. The surgeon may use fat grafting to restore fullness to the cheeks and fill out hollows around the eyes.
What should I do after a facelift?
Keeping the head elevated at all times for the first few days after surgery can help minimize swelling. Most facelift patients are surprised that there is minimal discomfort after surgery. Our surgeons administer advanced pain medication during surgery to keep patients as comfortable as possible.
How long is recovery from facelift surgery?
Most full facelift patients are ready to return to non-strenuous work in about 2 to 3 weeks, while mini facelift patients typically require 5 to 7 days of time off. While facelift procedures typically provide significant rejuvenation, individuals should be patient during recovery.