At UVA Plastic Surgery, our exceptional plastic surgeons perform eyelid surgery in Charlottesville and Fishersville, VA, to restore a rested, youthful appearance for women and men.
The delicate eye area is often affected earlier than other facial features by the aging process and exposure to sun. Some people have naturally heavy lids because of genetic predisposition. Our talented surgeons are able to rejuvenate the upper and lower eyelids to provide a naturally refreshed look.
Who is a candidate for eyelid surgery?
Technically called blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery is a good option for healthy women and men from Harrisonburg and Richmond, VA, Washington, D.C., and nearby cities who want to:
- Tighten sagging upper eyelid skin that creates a tired, haggard look
- Reduce pockets of fat around eyes
- Raise lax lower eyelids
- Enhance peripheral vision
When the upper eyelids are weighed down by a sagging brow line, your surgeon may recommend a brow lift instead of eyelid surgery. In many cases, patients benefit from having both procedures performed together.
How is eyelid surgery performed?
Our plastic surgeons perform eyelid surgery as an outpatient procedure using either local anesthetic with IV sedation or general anesthetic.
- Upper eyelid surgery involves an incision that follows the natural eyelid crease and extends slightly past the outer corner of the eye. Through this incision, the surgeon removes or repositions fat and tissues, and removes excess skin. Fine sutures are used to seal the incisions.
- Lower eyelid surgery may involve an incision along the lower lashline through which the surgeon tightens lax muscle and skin. The surgeon may use a transconjunctival technique, where the incision is placed within the lower eyelid, to remove fat pockets under the eye. This technique leaves no external scar.
Many patients have upper and lower eyelids surgery performed together. It is also common to combine eyelid surgery with a facelift and brow lift for more complete facial rejuvenation. Our experienced plastic surgeons personalize a surgical plan to each patient’s unique needs and cosmetic goals.
Eyelid Surgery Surgeons
At UVA Plastic Surgery, our highly regarded surgeons offer expertise and personalized care for a rewarding patient experience.Meet Our Surgeons
What can I expect during recovery?
After eyelid surgery, it is normal to experience swelling and bruising around the eyes for about a week. Prescription pain medication may be helpful for discomfort the first few days. Your surgeon will provide you with specific recovery instructions, which will include the following:
- Apply ice packs as directed for the first few days to minimize swelling and bruising.
- Keep the head elevated at all times, even when sleeping, for the first week.
- Strenuous exercise and activity should be postponed for 3 to 4 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses for 3 weeks.
Patients are typically ready to return to normal daily activities and non-strenuous jobs within 7 to 10 days.